For many years, the 1974 work on the growth stages of grains, by phytopathologist Jan Zadoks, was the most cited article by a Wageningener. Last year Zadoks was overtaken by Willem Stiekema, who published the genome of the model plant Arabidopsis, together with a group of colleagues.
1) Kaul S, Koo HL, Jenkins J, et al (2000), Analysis of the genome sequence of the flowering plant Arabidopsis thaliana. Co-author Willem Stiekema. Published in Nature. Number of citations: 3071.
2) Zadoks JC, Chang TT, Konzak CF (1974), Decimal Code for Growth Stages of Cereals. Published in Weed Research. Number of citations: 2874.
3) Hertog MGL, Feskens EJM, Hollman PCH, Katan MB, Kromhout D (1993), Dietary Antioxidant Flavonoids and Risk of Coronary Heart-Disease - The Zutphen Elderly Study. Published in The Lancet. Number of citations: 1995.
4) Ter Braak CJF (1986), Canonical Correspondence Analysis - A New Eigenvector Technique for Multivariate Direct Gradient Analysis. Published in Ecology. Number of citations: 1901
5) Costanza R, d'Arge R, de Groot R, et al. (1997), The value of the world's ecosystem services and natural capital. Published in Nature. Number of citations: 1502.