The demolition of the former nunnery on Larenstein estate in Velp is going to plan.
The building, Van Hall Larenstein property since 1973, costs the applied sciences university far too much in maintenance and management. It has already been disused for two years. From 1892 to 1973, it was a nunnery and reformatory for ‘fallen girls'. A documentary by VPRO programme OVT showed how the Sisters of the Good Shepherd prepared the girls for life outside the boarding school with a hard hand. They had to sleep with their hands on top of the blankets on pain of corporal punishment, or being locked in a dark cupboard, forbidden to speak and gated.