In August the white building became one of five ‘modern’ national monuments.
The building dates from the post-war reconstruction period and is considered an expression of the 'blossoming of higher education after the war'. It was designed for the surveying department by F.E. Röntgen in 1949. On the hill overlooking the Uiterwaarden, it was ideally sited for taking measurements. Since 2001 the building no longer belongs to the university. It houses several businesses and two apartments.