'After the opening we will make agreements regarding our social intercourse (with each other) during the trip.' It is the worst English blunder that Bert Keurentjes of the translation agency In’to Languages has come across at Wageningen UR.
Photo: Jason Eppink
Translating is a profession, Keurentjes simply wants to say. And last Friday the employees of all the university translating agencies from the Netherlands and Belgium met in Impulse to talk about the challenges of their profession. For example, how do you make sure that technical terms are consistently translated the same?
But also in daily life the Academic English can greatly be improved. Keurentjes often comes across oddly translated sentences on campus. On request of Resource he collected the five best English language blunders that he has ever encountered on campus.
Keurentjes’ top 5
1. After the opening (09.00!) we will make agreements regarding our social intercourse (with each other) during the trip.
2. The changing rooms are equipped with douches.
3. We really have to give gas to make this project a success.
4. Red whine is served with the main course.
5. During this quiz, your ‘general knowledge' will be tested, for example which character played Jack Nicholson in the first Batman movie?